A brief history of Calvary Lutheran Church

Calvary Lutheran Church grew out of a Sunday School in South Minneapolis, which had been started in 1911 by St. Paul’s Lutheran Church with additional support by Augustana Lutheran Church.

The congregation was founded in 1923 to provide English services to the primarily Scandinavian immigrant population.  The congregation was originally part of the Augustana Synod Lutheran (later Lutheran Church in America).  Pastor Clarence O. Granlund was called to serve as the first pastor (serving from 1923-1945).  The present sanctuary was constructed in 1930, a bold act of faith as the contracts were signed the same month as the 1929 stock market crash.  The education building was added to the facility in 1955.

As the neighborhood became more diverse in the 1960s and 1970s, Calvary responded, becoming a congregation known for welcoming couples and families of different races and backgrounds, and including the gifts of all in worship and leadership.  Seeking to meet the changing needs of our neighbors, an emergency food shelf and, in cooperation with Hospitality House Boys and Girls Clubs, an evening tutoring program were begun. 

In the late 1980s to mid-1990s the congregation entered into a difficult time and wrestled with finances and there was a rapid turn-over in pastoral staff.  There were significant questions of next steps.  With the arrival of co-pastors, the Revs. Thomas and Rebecca von Fischer, in 1995 the congregation began to re-envision its mission and find a renewed spirit in South Minneapolis.

In the late 1990s and early 2000s the congregation began significant work in deciding that its commitment was to be outwardly focused and engaged in the world.  Through several significant bequests Calvary began to develop new programs.  Additionally, the congregation felt moved to proclaim greater inclusivity, becoming a Reconciling in Christ (RIC) congregation that welcomed and affirmed inclusivity of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender individuals and their families.

The congregation also remodeled and refurbished the church facility in order to meet the needs of the community and neighborhood.  This included elevator access to welcome people with additional accessibility needs; and the renewing of the worship space.

Today, Calvary continues to serve the changing neighborhood and is doing much within the community.  The church building houses:  the Urban Arts Academy (founded by Calvary), The Twin Cities Women’s Choir, The Twin Cities Girls’ Choir, BeechWood Inc., The Metropolitan Pipeband.

In November of 2009 the congregation called Pastor Brad Froslee to serve as the next pastor.  This has prompted work with visioning and planning for the congregation well into the future.

In December 2016 Pastor Brad accepted a call to Saint Michael Lutheran Church in Roseville, MN.

Pastor Bruce Arnevik began his call as Interim Pastor at Calvary on January 3, 2017.

The congregation is committed to vibrant and faithful worship, nurturing relationship, and work in outreach and justice.

What's New at Calvary

Enrollment is open for the 2017-2018 Christian education year! Children from 4 years old to Confirmation (grade 8-9) are encouraged to participate. Registration forms are available in the narthex or by clicking this link if you care to pre-register your child(ren).  A Rally Sunday Open House is scheduled at 11:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. on Sep 10, 2017. Parents/guardians may register children that day. All members of the congregation are encouraged to visit the classrooms on Rally Sunday to get to know the Christian education volunteers and the students.


Calvary Lutheran Church is seeking a Director of Children and Youth Ministry. CLICK HERE to visit the Education page for details and a job description.


As the Church Council looks at the congregation's call and commitment to be a vibrant, nurturing, and faithful community, they are asking church members to pledge their financial support for the Fiscal Year January 1, 2017-December 31, 2017 General Operating Fund.

Click HERE for a Pledge Card to print and return to the church office

Click HERE for an Authorization form to sign up for electronic giving to print and return to the church office

Members may also email the church office, office@clchurch.org, and instruct the Administrator to enter their desired pledge. This information is confidential.